Mary Porter (1791-1877) co-owned the Bristol-based mineral water company Roughsedge & Summers between 1866 and 1869.
Porter was born in 1791. Details of her parentage and early life remain unclear, but she was probably born in London. On the 28th of May 1820, she married a mineral water manufacturer named William Roughsedge in Marylebone, London. The couple had two sons, Alfred Hornby and Frederick, both of whom later worked for the family company, Roughsedge & Summers, which was founded in Bristol in 1835.
The Roughsedge family moved to Bristol in the 1820s or early 1830s. They lived on Bridge Street from at least 1832 to the mid-1850s, but by 1863, they had moved to 13 Melrose Place in Clifton. William Roughsedge died on the 5th of March 1866, leaving his half of the partnership to his wife. The partnership between Mary Roughsedge and William Summers lasted until 1869; thereafter the business became known as W. Summers & Co. During the 1870s, Mary lived at Tortworth House, Chesterfield Place, Queen’s Road, Clifton, where she remained until her death on the 1st of June 1877.